Performer's Certificate: Post Baccalaureate
The Performer’s Certificate: Post-Baccalaureate is a one-year non-degree course of study designed for students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Music and who are interested in intensive training and further development of performance skills in a concentrated area. Candidates for the Performer’s Certificate: Post-Baccalaureate must demonstrate the requisite talent and potential to develop a high level of competency, artistic sensibility, and a strong sense of commitment for a career as a professional musician. This program will provide an in-depth study of concert repertoire with the objective of providing the practical experience necessary to be competitive for graduate scholarships, assistantships, and professional positions in the music field.
Applicants seeking admission to the Performer's Certificate: Post-Baccalaureate must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- Official transcript from a baccalaureate degree-granting institution
- On-campus audition and interview (Online video/Skype auditions and interviews will be set up for international students by the graduate advisor.)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Resume detailing previous musical and performance experience
- Two semesters of Applied Lesson study at the graduate level - 4 credit hours; Course XXXX 5201 (e.g., PIAN 5201, VILN 5201).
- Two semesters of Ensemble or Chamber Music participation at the graduate level specific to the student’s career goals (2 credit hours; MUEN 5112 or MUEN 5118).
- Two semesters of free* electives (6 credit hours). *Free elective courses must be jointly approved by the student’s applied teacher and graduate advisor.
- One Recital at the graduate level (1 credit hour; MUSI 6181).
|Free Elective||3||Free Elective||3|
|MUEN 5112 or 5118||1||MUEN 5112 or 5118||1|
|XXXX 5201(Applied Lessions)||2||MUSI 6181||1|
|XXXX 5201 (Applied Lessons)||2|
|Total Hours: 13|
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) marketable skills initiative is part of the state’s 60x30TX plan and was designed to help students articulate their skills to employers. Marketable skills are those skills valued by employers and/or graduate programs that can be applied in a variety of work or education settings and may include interpersonal, cognitive, and applied skill areas.
The Performer's Certificate: Post Baccalaureate is designed to provide graduates with the following marketable skills:
- Communication skills: written, verbal, and musical.
- Critical and creative thinking, multitasking, and problem solving skills.
- Versatile 21st century musicians with professional, collaborative, and inclusive demeanor.
- Entrepreneurial in spirit including leadership, marketing, and self-promotion.
- Community engagement and ability to work with diverse populations.