Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Agriculture
The School of Agricultural Sciences offers an online Sustainable Agriculture Graduate Certificate Program to prepare working professionals for theories and practices in sustainable agriculture with a focus on agriculture food environment and production practices.
This program’s curriculum will enable students to acquire professional development and continuing education hours with specific courses in modern agricultural pursuits framed by sustainable practices with options in agricultural sales, agritourism, entrepreneurship and soil ecology. The curriculum is designed to include non-traditional and viable enterprises in agriculture and small business marketing. The program is ideal for small landowners, urban farmers, value-added and cottage food makers, educators, and government agents, seeking knowledge, professional development or continuing education credit.
Explore about this degree at: The School of Agricultural Sciences Graduate Programs
The program is intended to serve:
- those seeking professional development or continuing education credit;
- non-agriculture graduates who wish to gain knowledge in sustainable agriculture practices; and,
- small land owners seeking advocacy concepts, marketing models, and entrepreneurship ideas for sustainable agriculture enterprises.
This Graduate Certificate is eligible to receive Title IV funding – Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Graduate PLUS loans by request. To be considered for aid, students need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Additional information: Reference the Program Landing Page for additional information, such as cost, delivery format, contact information, or to schedule a visit.
Students seeking admission to the Graduate Certificate program in Sustainable Agriculture must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited baccalaureate granting university in any field (degree need not be in Agriculture).
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher from BS conferring institution
- A resume of professional work experience
- A personal essay that addresses your interest in the program, post-graduation intentions, learning expectations, and current involvement in agriculture
- Three letters of recommendation from professional references
- Applicants from non-English speaking countries must present a score of at least 550 on the paper version, 213 on the computer version, or 79 on the internet-based version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
A holistic review of each student’s application file will be completed on a competitive basis.
|Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Agriculture|
|SAFE 5351||Agricultural Advocacy||3|
|SAFE 5371||Alternative Ag Enterprises||3|
|Select two courses from the following:||6|
|Advanced Agriculture & Food Entrepreneurship|
|Ag Sales and Communication|
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) marketable skills initiative is part of the state's 60x30TX plan and was designed to help students articulate their skills to employers. Marketable skills are those valued by employers and/or graduate programs that can be applied in a variety of work or education settings and may include interpersonal, cognitive, and applied skill areas.
The Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Agriculture is designed to provide graduates with the following marketable skills:
- Demonstrate competency in communication skills and professional presentation skills of scientific knowledge.
- Demonstrate a global perspective of agriculture.
- Demonstrate scientific and technical knowledge in sustainable agriculture and related sciences.
- Critically analyze information and make informed decisions.