College of Humanities and Social Sciences
|Dean||Chien-pin Li, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-2200
|Senior Associate Dean||Leif French, Ph.D.
email@example.com; (936) 294-2455
|Associate Dean, Student Success||James Crosby, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-2202
|Associate Dean, Academic Programs||Carroll Ferguson Nardone, Ph.D.
email@example.com; (936) 294-2203
|Department of Communication Studies||Frances Brandau, Ph.D., Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-1356
|Department of English||Jake Blevins, Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294-1402
|Department of History||Brian Jordan, Ph.D., Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-4460
|Department of Political Science||Jason Enia, Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; 936) 294-1467
|Department of Psychology and Philosophy||Jorge Varela, Ph.D., Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-4161
|Department of Sociology||Jason Konefal, Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294-1514
|Department of World Languages and Cultures||Maria Barker, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-4584
About the College
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences consists of seven academic units, the Departments of :
- Communication Studies
- Political Science
- Psychology and Philosophy
- World Languages and Cultures
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences provides an essential component to a liberal arts education: understanding human beings in their diversity as expressed in their literatures, histories, ideas, values, oral and written expressions, and behavior. By promoting analytic, interpretive, interpersonal, research, and communication skills, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences facilitates personal growth, competent professionals, and responsible citizens.
Phone: (936) 294-2200
Fax: (936) 294-2207
CHSS Building 290
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) are committed to teaching excellence, curriculum innovation, research/scholarship, and community and university service.
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences have been recognized for their research and scholarship with national awards. Among these awards is a finalist for the 2016 Pulitzer Prize in History, a National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Literature, and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Creative Writing.
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences have been recognized for their teaching excellence with national and local awards. CHSS is home to five Minnie Stevens Piper Professors. Only 10 Piper Professors are identified each year across Texas.
- A national survey ranked the Psychology Program at Sam Houston State in the top ten of emerging Clinical Psychology Doctoral Programs.
- Courses in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences exceed the national norms in teacher effectiveness and course excellence.
- CHSS is home to many student organizations, both honorary and professional, to help build student resumes with active learning opportunities. Several of these clubs have been recognized regionally and nationally.
- A student in the Clinical Psychology PhD program received the David Pilon Scholarship for Training in Professional Psychology from the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students. This national award is made to one graduate student in psychology each year.
- CHSS houses two Research Centers:
- The Center for the Study of Disasters & Emergency Management (CDEM)
- The Center for Multi-cultural Rural Development (CMRD)
|Communication Studies||Communication Studies, MA|
|English||Creative Writing, Editing, and Publishing, MFA|
|English||Technical Communication, MA|
|English||English, MA/Creative Writing, Editing, and Publishing, MFA (Dual Degree)|
|Political Science||Political Science, MA|
|Political Science||Public Administration, MPA|
|Psychology and Philosophy||Psychology, MA|
|Psychology and Philosophy||Psychology - Clinical Psychology, MA|
|Psychology and Philosophy||Psychology - School Psychology, SSP|
|World Languages and Cultures||Spanish, MA|
|Psychology and Philosophy||Clinical Psychology, PhD|
|Communication Studies||Communication Studies|
|Political Science||Political Science|
|Psychology and Philosophy||General Psychology|
CHSS Graduate Scholarship
This enrollment-based scholarship awards $1000 per semester for full-time students and $500 per semester for part-time students. Application is located in Scholarships4kats.
Departments within the college have numerous scholarships accessible through the Scholarships4kats application process.
Several of the department graduate programs have academic clubs that support students' integration into graduate studies and provide networking opportunities for students and faculty.
Departments often provide internship/practicum experience in the application of academic work to worlds of practice.