Graduate Certificate in English
To teach college-level, dual-credit classes in the State of Texas, high school teachers must hold a graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) and have eighteen graduate hours (six courses) in the teaching field. The English teaching certificate program gives students who hold graduate degrees in fields other than English graduate training designed to enhance students' ability to teaching dual-credit and community college courses.
The dual credit teaching certificate program allows students to
- work with specialists in literature, rhetoric and writing disciplines,
- complete the eighteen-hour program completely online in six semesters (including summer sessions), and
- apply all 18 hours of the certificate to the full MA degree in English at Sam Houston State University.
This Graduate Certificate is eligible to receive Title IV funding – Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Graduate PLUS loans by request. To be considered for aid, students need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Note: Students who take a combination of face-to-face and online classes could complete the certificate within a year.
Students applying for the Graduate Certificate in English at Sam Houston State University must submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application: The Graduate Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- Transcripts documenting the conferral of an undergraduate degree and conferral of a graduate degree from accredited institutions* (graduate GPA of 3.4 or higher is expected);
- A brief letter of purpose stating the professional intentions for applying to the certificate program
For Summer admission: May 1
For Fall admission: August 1
For Spring admission: December 1
*Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for review by the admissions committee. However, under university policy, admission decisions are contingent upon receipt of official transcripts
Application for MA Degree Program
Students who are accepted into the Graduate Certificate in English and later wish to apply to the MA in English program will be required to submit additional materials related to the MA application process in effect at the time of their application.
Students enrolled in the MA in English may complete the Graduate Certificate in English as part of the MA degree plan. Students who enroll only in the certificate, may (if accepted for degree candidacy) apply the 18 hours of graduate English credit earned in the certificate program to the MA degree.
SHSU requires that a student complete a graduate degree within six years of matriculation. A certificate student who subsequently pursues the MA in English has six years to complete the degree from the first term of enrollment in the certificate program.
|Graduate Certificate in English|
|ENGL 5335||Workshop In Teaching Writing||3|
|ENGL 5384||Rhetoric & Composition Theory||3|
|ENGL 5313||Studies in Technical Comm.||3|
|Three courses selected from the following: 1||9|
|Grad Rsrch: Methods & Theories|
|American Lit: Pre-Civil War|
|American Lit: Post-Civil War|
|US Ethnic Literatures|
|British Lit: Pre-Industrial 1|
|British Lit: Post-Industrial 1|
|Anglophone Literature 1|