Graduate Certificate in Sociology
The Graduate Certificate in Sociology is designed for post-baccalaureate students interested in attaining the necessary expertise to teach sociology at the high school and community college levels. The program is intended to assist individuals with the skills and knowledge to teach courses in the area of sociology.
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will have:
- Expertise in core sociological theories, concepts, and methods;
- Expertise in multiple topical areas in sociology;
- Knowledge of sociology pedagogy;
- Competency to teach sociology courses at the community college and high school levels.
The program is intended to serve:
- Community college teachers
- High school teachers
To be considered for admission, students will need to meet the following requirements:
- Graduate Application: The Graduate Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application Fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- Transcripts documenting all prior degrees.*
- Applicants who do not possess a graduate degree from an accredited institution are expected to have earned a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 from the accredited institution granting the undergraduate degree. Applicants who do not possess a graduate degree and have an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 are encouraged to provide an explanation for the applicant’s low GPA and why the GPA is not indicative of the applicant’s academic and professional potential in the Letter of Intent.
- Letter of intent: The Letter of Intent is your opportunity to discuss your fit with the program offered at Sam Houston State University. While you have a significant amount of freedom to discuss anything you would like in your letter of intent, you may want to address your short-term and long-term academic/professional goals, why you would like to attend our program, and why your interests fit with our program.
- Two letters of recommendation that discuss the applicant’s suitability for graduate study.
*Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for review by the admissions committee. However, under university policy, admission decisions are contingent upon receipt of official transcripts.
Students will be admitted for the Fall and Spring semesters (no summer admissions). The application deadline for Spring enrollment is December 1st; the application deadline for Fall enrollment is August 1st.
Note: Students admitted into the Graduate Certificate Program are eligible to transfer into the Master of Arts in Sociology program if they meet the program requirements.
Inquiries can be directed to:
J. Bart Stykes
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Sociology
Sam Houston State University
The Graduate Certificate in Sociology is an 18-hour certificate. It entails three required courses and three elective courses. The certificate is designed to be taken fully online. Full-time students will be able to complete the program in a year. Students admitted into the Graduate Certificate Program are eligible to transfer into the Master of Arts in Sociology program if they meet the program requirements.
|Graduate Certificate in Sociology|
|SOCI 5310||Seminar In Sociological Theory||3|
|SOCI 5312||Smnr Sociological Research||3|
|SOCI 5355||Seminar in Social Inequality||3|
|Choose three of the following||9|
|Sociolgy of Entrepreneurship|
|Sociology of Community|
|Seminar In Medical Sociology|
|Seminar in Social Change & Dev|
|Seminar in Food and Society|
|Sociology of The Family|
|Sociology of Religion|
|Gender and Society|
|Sociology of Disasters|
|Seminar In Race And Ethnic Stu|
|Tchnq-Rsrch Propsl Wrt/Soc Sci|
|Seminar in Economy and Society|
|The Sociology of Aging|
|Seminar In Sociology|