Graduate Certificate in American History
The 18-hour certificate program in American history will prepare graduate students to read, analyze, and write about the past in a way that is meaningful today. In keeping with this philosophy, the program will offer a unique experience, which allows students to participate in graduate education through online classes. Students in the program will find a broad-based education incorporating in-depth studies of American history, immersion in the latest historiographical theories, and training in advanced research methods.
The 18-hour graduate certificate program in history will allow secondary school teachers who already hold a master’s degree in another field to earn the credentials needed to teach courses for joint high school and college credit.
Through this program teachers will be able to:
- Work with leading scholars from SHSU’s faculty members in history;
- Complete the 18-hour program completely online from their homes or offices;
- Finish the 18-hour program in a single year;
- Apply coursework from this 18-hour program to a full MA degree in history at SHSU.
Applicants seeking admission to the Graduate Certificate in American History submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application: The Graduate Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- Possession of undergraduate and master’s degrees from accredited institutions.
- Transcripts documenting all prior degrees.*
- Two letters of recommendation that discuss the applicant’s academic and professional potential.
- An academic writing sample demonstrating the applicant’s ability to advance an argument in professional prose.
*Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for review by the admissions committee. However, under university policy, admission decisions are contingent upon receipt of official transcripts.
Fall: March 1
Summer: March 1
Spring: October 1
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Select six of the following ten courses for the 18 hour Graduate Certificate in American History.
|Graduate Certificate in American History|
|Select six of the following:||18|
|The Reconstruction Era|
|Early National America|
|US Civil War|
|Recent America, 1876-1933|
|Amer Cultural & Religious His|
|African American Civil Rights|