School Librarian Certification
School Librarian Certification is designed for individuals who have previously obtained a master's degree and are seeking to become a school librarian. This certification program will introduce students to cataloging and classification; reference and evaluative criteria; policies and procedures for school library administration; and principles for selecting recreational yet informative materials for young adults and children.
Applicants interested in the Certification as a School Librarian must hold a valid classroom teaching certificate and have at least two years of classroom teaching experience before being able to sit for the state certification exam.
Those who do not already hold a master's degree should seek the School Librarian Certification in coordination with the Master of Library Science.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in library science must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If GPA is lower than a 3.0, the last 60 hours of education can be used.
- Official transcript from the master degree granting institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. If GPA is lower than a 3.0, the last 60 hours of education can be used.
- Pay the $35 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas School Librarian certification.
- A copy of a valid Texas teaching certificate.
- Teacher Service Record from your school district's Human Resource Department with 2 years of certified teaching experience preferred
- Writing Sample
This 24-hour certification program provides instruction for the principles and procedures common to school libraries and information centers.The primary mission of the Department of Library Science is the preparation of school librarians for grades P-12.
|School Librarian Certification|
|LSSL 5330||Collection Development||3|
|LSSL 5332||Organization of Collections I||3|
|LSSL 5334||Infor Services & Resources I||3|
|LSSL 5337||School Library Administration||3|
|LSSL 5360||Literature For Children||3|
|LSSL 5366||Library Internship||3|
|LSSL 5370||School Librarianship||3|
|LSSL 5385||Lit For Young Adults||3|