About the University
About the Catalog
The purpose of the catalog is to provide general information about the academic programs of Sam Houston State University to prospective students, current students, faculty, and staff of the University. Included is information concerning the academic calendar, admission and registration procedures, tuition and fees, degree requirements, services available to students, and the faculty and administrative officers of the University.
Subject to Change Notice
The policies, regulations, procedures, and fees in this catalog are subject to change without notice, if necessary, to keep University policies in compliance with State and Federal laws and/or with rules and regulations of the Board of Regents of The Texas State University System.
The University reserves the right to change curricula, rules, fees, and other requirements, of whatever kind, affecting students. The provisions of this catalog do not constitute a contract, express or implied, between any applicant, student, or faculty member and Sam Houston State University or its Board of Regents.
Contacting the University
If you have a question but do not know to whom an inquiry should be directed, you may call the University Information number, and the inquiry will be routed to the appropriate person or department.
University Information: (936) 294-1111
Toll Free: 1-866-BEARKAT (1-866-232-7528)
List of course abbreviations used throughout this catalog and in many SHSU operations and publications (e.g., transcripts, registration, etc.)
Definitions of terms that are frequently used in the academic environment
If you notice a problem with the catalog, such as a broken link or a typographical error, please report the problem via email to the catalog editor at catalogs @shsu.edu . Be specific and include the exact address of the page if possible.
About the Office of Graduate Studies
The Office of Graduate Studies will promote and grow a culture of excellence and learning in graduate education that results in scholars, researchers, and practitioners committed to and capable of broadening the scope of academic discourse, discovery, leadership, and innovation.
The Office of Graduate Studies at Sam Houston State University is an academic support unit that promotes quality graduate education and provides resources to maximize graduate student success. Graduate Studies provides leadership and services to create high-quality learning environments for graduate students by:
- Facilitating the development of new programs and strengthening existing programs;
- Retaining and graduating high-quality students, especially those in underserved populations;
- Providing resources to retain a high-quality, diverse graduate faculty;
- Fostering campus-wide collaboration and strengthening the role of graduate education at SHSU;
- Supporting graduate program quality by assisting graduate programs with accreditation, external review, and other quality enhancement practices;
- Encouraging and supporting scholarship and intellectual creativity among graduate faculty and students;
- Implementing efficient and effective best practices;
- Highlighting and promoting graduate student research and success; and
- Establishing and implementing effective academic policy.
Office of Graduate Studies
Charles and Eleanor Garrett Teacher Education Center
1908 Bobby K. Marks Blvd.
Huntsville, TX 77340