Student Support Services

This is an archived copy of the 2023-2024 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Alumni Relations and Development

The SHSU Alumni Association exists to support and promote the University and represent the interest of over 140,000 alumni and friends. The alumni program is an important part of an integrated advancement effort to communicate with graduates and former students and engage them with the university.

Located in the John R. Ragsdale Alumni Center, the role of Alumni Relations has expanded significantly, becoming an integral part of the University campus community while serving as a bridge to both local and national communities.   The Alumni Association’s programs and activities are developed and planned in consultation with an alumni association board of directors.

The Association sponsors the annual Distinguished Alumni Gala for Distinguished Alumni, Outstanding Young Alumni and Service Award recipients, the annual Life Member Celebration, Homecoming activities, tailgate parties, regional alumni clubs and gatherings, newsletters, scholarships, student programs, and the official university class ring program. It provides opportunities for alumni to participate in community service projects, raising scholarship funds, legislative advocacy, and joining with other graduates in alumni activities across the country.

Alumni Association membership is open to all graduates, former students, parents, faculty, staff, and friends of Sam Houston State.  For additional information, please call (936) 294-1841 or visit Alumni Association.

The University must increasingly rely on private giving from its alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations to close the gap between what tuition, fees and state support provide and what is essential to offer programs of quality. The Annual Fund is an ongoing program to secure recurring contributions from alumni and friends. More than 13,000 alumni and other friends contribute to the University’s scholarships, colleges, departments, and other programs. 

Donors may make a gift using a credit card by going online to SHSU Giving.  For information about providing support for the University through an annual, major, or planned gift, please contact

University Advancement
Box 2537
Huntsville, TX 77341-2537
(936) 294-3625


Competing at a high level in 17 NCAA Division I sports, Sam Houston State University brings the fun and excitement of intercollegiate athletics to the Huntsville campus.

The Bearkats have become a fixture on national television sports networks including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, CBS Fox Sports and Comcast.

Sam Houston competes as a member of the Southland Conference. The Bearkats have won 46 league championships since joining the league in 1988. The Kats have represented the league in NCAA Division I post-season play 28 times. Recent successes have included five consecutive appearances in the NCAA Division I Football Championship semifinals. Sam Houston played in the football championship finals in 2011 and 2012.

The Bearkat women’s bowling team brought Sam Houston its first NCAA Division I national championship with a victory over Nebraska in 2014. The baseball team has earned NCAA regional playoff berths three of the last four years.

With 32 Southland Conference championships since 2000, Sam Houston stands as the only team in league history to win SLC Commissioner’s Cup trophies three years in a row and is the only current member to earn the league’s all-sports title five times. The trophy is awarded annually to the overall athletic program ranked as the best in the league.

The Bearkats play a nationally competitive schedule in all sports with games against top teams from the Big 12 and SEC including Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas, LSU and Arkansas.

Each of the past six seasons, Sam Houston and Stephen F. Austin have played their annual “Battle of the Piney Woods” rivalry game at NRG Stadium in Houston, putting more than 25,000 fans in the seats at the NFL Texans’ venue annually.

Men’s intercollegiate sports at Sam Houston include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, indoor track and field and outdoor track and field. Women’s sports are basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball.

Sam Houston student-athletes are just as successful in the class room as on the playing field. The overall grade point average for the more than 400 Bearkat student-athletes annually is a mark higher than the general student population at the university. Seven of the last eight semesters, the department’s GPA has been 3.0 or higher including a record 3.22 GPA in the fall semester of 2015.

Bearkats have been recognized as the outstanding student-athlete in their individual sports by receiving the Southland “Student-Athlete of the Year” award 23 times in the past nine years.

Sam Houston boasts one of the finest athletic complexes in the Southwest. Home athletic events are held at Elliott T. Bowers Stadium (football), Bernard G. Johnson Coliseum (basketball, volleyball), Don Sanders Stadium (baseball), Bearkat Softball Complex (softball), Meredith and Miriam York Track and Field Center (track and field), McAdams Tennis Center (tennis), Joseph Pritchett Field (soccer) and the Ron Randleman Strength and Fitness Center.

Recent additions to the athletic facilities include state-of-the-art video/scoreboards at football, basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball games. Each of the athletic venues is located on campus within walking distance of any of the residence halls.

Sam Houston students are admitted to all home regular season athletic events on presentation of a current and valid Bearkat OneCard. Simply swipe your Bearkat OneCard at the designated student gates the day of the event for admission. Bearkat OneCards must be active and you must be currently enrolled.

News, schedules, ticket information and opportunities to watch live video of Bearkat sports events are available at SHSU Athletic.

Bearkat OneCard Services

The Bearkat OneCard is the official ID card of Sam Houston State University. The OneCard is an all-in-one student ID which has been designed to be an efficient, multi-purpose card.  It provides students easy access to University facilities and services. To ensure campus security, it is required that all students obtain and activate a Bearkat OneCard for campus identification.

The Bearkat OneCard is required for:

  • Meal Plans
  • Bearkat Bucks (on-campus dining dollars)
  • Assigned Residence Hall
  • Entrance to Athletic Events
  • University Sponsored Functions
  • Recreational Sports Facility
  • Kat Klub
  • Newton Gresham Library Services
  • Managing Refund Preferences
  • Managing Student Payroll Preferences
  • Raven’s Nest Golf Course
  • University Health Center Services
  • Cashier’s Office
  • Financial Aid Office
  • SAM Center (Student Advising)
  • Career Services
  • Campus Departmental Identification

To obtain a Bearkat OneCard students MUST:

  • Have a photo taken in the Bearkat OneCard Office or request your OneCard online.  It is mandatory to present a valid state or government issued photo ID in order to request a Bearkat OneCard.
  • Have a valid and current address on file with the University.
  • Be currently registered for classes.

Once these steps have been completed, the Bearkat OneCard will be mailed to the current address on file with the University.   Upon receipt, the OneCard must be activated at Bearkat OneCard for on-campus usage.   Students will also select a refund and payroll preference when activating their OneCard online.  Students have the following options for receiving refunds and payroll:

  • Electronic deposit to an existing checking or savings account
  • Electronic deposit to the VibeAccount

Note – Refund and Payroll preferences may be different. 

The VibeAccount is an optional, internet-only, FDIC-insured checking account linked to the Bearkat OneCard. The Bearkat OneCard can be used as a DEBIT Mastercard if the VibeAccount is opened and funds are deposited into the account. Students may choose to open the VibeAccount when activating their OneCard; however, students are not required to open this optional account. Please, visit Account Fee Schedule for more information related to the terms and conditions of this account.   

The Bearkat OneCard Services staff provides assistance in taking ID photos, activating cards, and providing information related to student refund and payroll disbursements. The Bearkat OneCard office also provides passport photos to all faculty, staff, and students free of charge as well as assists with event tracking for campus events.  For more information, please visit our office in the Estill Building, Suite 103, contact us by phone at (936) 294-2273, or visit Bearkat OneCard Services.

Career Services

The Career Success Center Mission: Preparing students for the career of their choice.

The Career Success Center Vision: Connecting students to careers. Collaborating for career readiness.

The Career Success Center assists students, graduates, and alumni in their search for employment based on their interests, skills, academic preparation, and personal aspirations. Opportunities and resources are provided to assist students in learning about and developing career readiness and ultimately obtaining a rewarding career.

Specific services and resources include:

  • BEARKATS GET HIRED for Student Employment, Internships, Part-time and Full-time Job Postings
  • Career/Internship Fairs
  • Résumé & Cover Letter Writing Assistance
  • Mock Job & Internship Interviews
  • Networking/Employer Information Resources
  • LinkedIn Profile Assistance
  • Professional Headshots
  • Career-Related Workshops/Panels
  • Campus Interviews with Company Recruiters
  • Reba Bock Career Closet

The Career Success Center is located in the Academic Building IV, Suite 210. You can contact the Career Success Center by calling (936) 294-1713, emailing us or by visiting our website: Career Success Center.

Counseling Center

Counseling Services

The SHSU Counseling Center provides individual, couples, and group therapy to students who are currently enrolled. Our mission is to provide service within the university environment that contributes to the academic success, personal growth, and positive social contribution of Sam Houston State University students. We embrace a student-oriented philosophy that is respectful of diversity and is committed to the development of the student as a whole person.

To participate in Counseling Center services you must be a currently registered student. A registered student can initiate services by visiting the counseling center anytime between 9am-11am and 1pm-2:30pm. No appointment is needed for this initial appointment. During this initial 20 minute screening students will have an opportunity to discuss their presenting concerns and the clinician will match them to an appropriate counseling center service.

The SHSU Counseling Center offers a number of different options to help students enhance their well-being. Your clinician believes that some of these options may be especially helpful in meeting your own goals.

Your clinician may recommend one or more of the following service modalities:

Workshops – Workshops are tailored to address common concern of college students. Workshops are conduced year round on stress management, anxiety, mood management, relationship success, better sleep, mindfulness and general adjustment. Workshops are offered at various times throughout the semester and require no advance registration.

Group - Group therapy offers a unique opportunity to build community, explore your needs, share your experiences, offer support to others, and develop strategies to combat many different problems.

TAO – Therapy Assisted Online is a secure and completely private online tool of effective treatment interventions. TAO provides interactive exercises, practice tools, and web based check-ins with a clinician. You must use your SHSU email to register and use the TAO site.

Single Session – Single sessions are designed to address specific concerns in one single session. These sessions are designed to be goal oriented and solution focused.

Individual Counseling & Couples Counseling – Brief counseling sessions (45-50 minutes) provides an opportunity to work collaboratively with a clinician toward resolving matters that are systemic in nature. Counseling sessions are scheduled at various intervals (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly) based on treatment goals.

Consultation – Consultation provides an opportunity to address unique concerns related to treatment, referral, and access to resources. Consultation is a useful way to gather information and formulate next steps toward reaching one’s goals. Consultation may also be used to explore ways one might be supportive to a friend or member of the university community in need of mental health services.

Case Management & Referral – Case management services can assist students who need assistance connecting with outside providers and students who need help navigating community resources.

The Counseling Center is located on the second floor of the Powell Student Health and Counseling Center, conveniently located next to Old Main Market. To make an appointment, visit or call (936) 294-1720. The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with additional evening hours during the Fall and Spring semesters.  For more information, visit the Counseling Center's website.

Dean of Students’ Office

The Dean of Students' Office provides premier student and family support services and programs with a focus on student development, success, engagement, and retention. Through restorative practices, our department provides holistic student support, as well as opportunities for leadership, development, and community engagement. Our parent programs support parents and families by building community, parent connection and engagement, and scholarship opportunities.

The Dean of Students’ Office is in the Lowman Student Center Suite #210, telephone (936) 294-1785. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visit for more information.   

General Conduct And Campus Regulations

It is expected that all Sam Houston State University students are on campus for serious educational pursuits and that they will conduct themselves to preserve an appropriate atmosphere of learning. It is also expected that all students who enroll at Sam Houston State University agree to assume the responsibilities of citizenship in the campus community. While enrolled, students are subject to University authority, which includes the prerogative of dismissing those whose conduct, is not within the policies of the University. Students are responsible for abiding by all University rules and regulations as printed in this catalog; in the student handbook, The Student Code of Conduct; and in other official University publications. Failure to read these publications will not excuse the student from the requirements and regulations described therein. In addition, students should be familiar with the Hazing Act which can be found in Student Code of Conduct.

Student Wellness

Student Health Services at SHSU are comprised of the Student Health Center and Student Wellness.

The Student Health Center, located at the corner of Avenue J and Bearkat Boulevard, provides comprehensive medical services and health education and health related events to currently enrolled students. The Health Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday for the full Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. We are closed on official University holidays. 

The Health Center is a primary care medical office for SHSU students that provides office visits for routine illness and minor injuries, gender specific care, sexual health services, allergy injections and immunizations. The center also has laboratory services, a pharmacy (offering both prescription and over the counter items) and a Dental office. 

The cost of office visits is covered by the Medical Service Fee paid each semester as part of the tuition and fees. This fee allows a student to schedule as often as needed throughout that semester for medical services. Any additional fees for laboratory tests, prescription drugs, and certain procedures and supplies will be charged to the student’s cashiers office account and are expected to be paid once posted. These charges are at greatly discounted rates. The Student Health Center does not bill any medical insurance policies except the policy provided for purchase through SHSU, Academic Health Plans. 

Medical staff at the Health Center is comprised of Medical Doctors, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Licensed Vocational Nurses and Registered Nurses, Medical Assistants, Medical Technologists, Pharmacist and Pharmacy Techs and a dedicated front office staff. 

The Health Center prides itself in its continued accreditation by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).  Accreditation means that the clinics operations meet or exceed rigorous standards of quality compared to other primary care offices across the nation.

In the case of on-campus medical emergencies, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) 911 should be called. 

Please visit the Health Center website for more information on our services. You can also find the link to your Patient Portal on our webpage that allows you to schedule appointments online, receive testing results and messages from your medical providers and submit forms to the Student Health Center. If you would like to learn more about our health promotion and health education services, please visit our OHP website 

Please call (936) 294-1805 for any additional information about Student Health Center services.  Our team looks forward to serving you as we carry out our values of service, inclusion, and respect. Our mission is to keep you healthy and support your academic success! 

For dental clinic inquiries, contact (936) 207-8472. 

International Programs

The Office of International Programs (OIP) promotes and coordinates international activities at Sam Houston State University, including the recruitment and retention of international students and study and travel abroad of SHSU faculty and students. OIP is the primary contact for international students at the University, and the staff provides assistance and information to international visitors. 

Active in the recruitment of international students and scholars to the University, the OIP staff assists with immigration rules and regulations for international students and scholars. This office also provides various support services for international students such as initial airport pick-up, cultural events, and activities-both on campus and off campus.  SHSU has an active International Student Organization with both international and domestic student members.

Sam Houston State University offers opportunities for study on exchange programs and faculty-led programs in numerous countries across the globe. In addition, the university is affiliated with 5 of the country’s top Study Abroad providers, allowing students to participate in a wide variety of study abroad programs while utilizing their financial aid. Scholarships are available for those who qualify. 

Located in OIP are the National Student Exchange (NSE) and the Global Fellowships Office (GFO).  NSE provides accessible collegiate study away to undergraduate students at over 170 member institutions in the United States, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. GFO staff work with SHSU students applying for competitive honors and awards from around the globe. We offer information sessions for many scholarships and provide one-on-one help throughout the application process.

Visit or call the Office of International Programs in Farrington Building, Room 116, telephone (936) 294-4737.

Mail address:
International Programs
1908 Avenue J (SHSU Box 2150)
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2150

James and Nancy Gaertner Performing Arts Center

Opened in fall 2010, the Gaertner Performing Arts Center is a showcase for artistic talent and creative works, serving the community and the region. It serves as a world-class academic facility for students in the College of Arts & Media.

James and Nancy Gaertner Performing Arts Center Features

  • 800-seat concert hall
  • 175-seat recital hall
  • 150-seat dance theatre
  • Outdoor performance space
  • Dance studios
  • Practice rooms
  • Dressing rooms
  • Audition areas
  • Scene shop for set construction
  • Costume shop
  • More than 90,000 square feet of total space

Public Art in the James and Nancy Gaertner Performing Arts Center

The central lobby of the Gaertner Performing Arts Center showcases original public art by internationally known artists and sculptors. Seven installations were commissioned for the building by Joe Akers, Kathleen Ash, Rebecca Finley, Jason Lawson, Jesús Morales, and Tim Prentice and Charles Pebworth.

Events in the James and Nancy Gaertner Performing Arts Center

The extensive events calendar for this spectacular performance space and for the College of Arts and Media in general can be accessed at College of Arts & Media.

Mailing Address:
College of Arts and Media
Sam Houston State University
PO Box 2209
Huntsville, TX 77341

Physical Address:
James and Nancy Gaertner Performing Arts Center
College of Arts and Media
1900 Avenue I; Suite 200
Huntsville, TX 77340

Lowman Student Center

Lowman Student Center

The Lowman Student Center (LSC) proudly serves as your "Living Room on Campus" by providing a safe, welcoming, and engaging environment.  With recently expanded and renovated spaces, over 1 million  students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and guests frequent the LSC annually. The LSC is committed to providing the university with services, conveniences, and amenities in an engaging and innovative environment.  

Contact Information

LSC Office Main Number: 936.294.1759

LSC Information Center: 936.294.4902

LSC Kat Klub (game room): 936.294.3462

LSC Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat: @SHSULSC

LSC Office email:

LSC operational hours may be found on the Lowman Student Center website. 


The LSC is home to the Kat Klub (game room with bowling alley), University Bookstore, and Paw Print Food Court. Current LSC information can be found by visiting the Information Center.


The LSC is a 225,000 sq. ft. facility, supported by state-of-the-art theatrical lighting and audio/video systems, that hosts over 8,000 events annually in the following spaces:

  • Orange Ballroom (10,000 sq. ft.) and White Ballroom (8,000 sq. ft.) suitable for banquets, dances, concerts, conferences, and other large event gatherings. 
  • Theater space providing seating for 360 (plus 6 ADA) is ideal for lectures, video presentations, seminars, educational, and entertainment programs. 
  • Conference Rooms of varying sizes that can accommodate groups ranging from 12 to 200 people.
  • Kat Klub (game room) offers bowling, billiards, table tennis, video games, a tavern, and several TV screens in a fun, friendly environment where students, faculty, staff, and guests can gather. Join us in the Kat Klub for relaxing, lounging, and gaming with friends!
  • Mother’s Room which features lockers for individual use, comfortable seating, hot and cold water, a baby changing station, cleaning supplies, dimmable lights, electrical outlets, a mini refrigerator for milk storage, and a secure, lockable door.  See Information Center for access.

Museum, Sam Houston Memorial

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum, established in 1936 as a Texas centennial project, is an integral part of Sam Houston State University and is dedicated to preserving the memory of General Sam Houston (1793-1863). A soldier, statesman and politician, the only man to serve as governor of two states and president of an independent republic, Sam Houston led the fight for Texas’ independence and then served Texas as President, U.S. Senator, and Governor. Located on fifteen acres, the museum complex preserves three fully furnished original Houston buildings - Woodland Home, Steamboat House, and Law Office - as well as a kitchen, blacksmith shop, and Guerrant, Roberts-Farris and Bear Bend log cabins.

The Memorial Museum Building houses the major collection of Houston memorabilia and exhibits. The Katy & E. Don Walker, Sr. Education Center is named for a distinguished alumnus of Sam Houston State University and his wife, and provides auditorium, classroom, and meeting spaces, including the W. S. Gibbs Conference Hall, as well as a gallery for traveling exhibits. The ‘Wigwam Neosho,’ the museum store and gift shop, is housed in a large log building on the Museum grounds. The museum offers many educational opportunities for Sam Houston State University students. These include semester- and year-long internships, with both undergraduate and graduate exploring a variety of museum study options. We also provide several part-time student jobs, tours, and research and writing programs using archives, manuscripts, and artifacts. Numerous lectures, symposia, and workshops are offered throughout the year, many carrying academic credit. Classes as diverse as history, biology, political science, and art use the Museum and grounds as a laboratory, studio and classroom.

The Sam Houston Memorial Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Accreditation certifies that a museum operates according to standards set forth by the museum profession, manages its collections responsibly and provides quality services of museum visitors.

The museum complex is located at the corner of Sam Houston Avenue and 19th Street and can be reached by calling (936) 294-1832 or by visiting Sam Houston Memorial Museum.

Print Services

Sam Houston Print Services is the University’s in-house printing and copying facility.  Copying, binding, faxing, and printing services are offered to students, student organizations, faculty, and departments at Sam Houston State University.

Sam Houston Print Services is located at 1831 University Ave, on the first floor of the Thomason Building, Suite 101. The facility is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. For information or to arrange an appointment for placing an order, please, call (936) 294-1856 or (936) 294-1768.

Public Safety Services, University Police, and Parking & Transportation Office

 University Police Officers 

University Police Officers are licensed peace officers as defined under the laws of the State of Texas and thereby have the authority of peace officers. Their primary jurisdiction, under H.B. 391, includes all counties in which property is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise under the control of Sam Houston State University.

The University Police Officers subscribe to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, a portion of which reads, “As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all citizens to liberty, equality, and justice.” In this endeavor, the University Police earnestly solicit the support of the faculty/staff and students. Many officers are students thus providing a balance within Public Safety Services from a student’s perspective.

In addition to University regulations, all the general and criminal laws of the State and the United States are declared to be in full force and effect within the properties of Sam Houston State University. All persons are responsible for compliance with these laws. 

All thefts, vehicle accidents, or other criminal offenses that occur on campus should be reported immediately to the University Police. The Charles W. Tackett University Police Building is located at 2424 Sam Houston Avenue (Sam South Complex) —Telephone Number (936) 294-1800. Police Officers are on duty 24 hours every day. The business office hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.

Campus Safety. Sam Houston State University offers a variety of services to promote a safe campus environment. The campus is equipped with emergency call boxes stationed at strategic locations throughout the campus to include parking lots, walkways, and residence halls. Additionally, the University Police provide staff to escort students not wishing to walk alone at night to and from campus buildings and parking lots. Students wishing to learn more about personal safety and self defense may take advantage of programs offered by the University Police Department. For more information, call (936) 294-1800 (Emergency 936-294-1000).

Emergency Management

The campus Emergency Management disseminates critical emergency response information that includes text messages, voice calls, emails, desktop alerts, social media messaging, and loudspeaker announcements.  For preparedness, the campus maintains an emergency preparedness website and a cell phone/tablet application with essential training information in checklist form and situational videos for the campus community to include access for visitors on campus.  This information is available at KatSafe. 

Parking & Transportation

Parking.  Students, full - or part-time, who operate or expect to operate a motor vehicle, motor cycle, or motor-assisted cycle on University property, regularly or occasionally, are REQUIRED to register the vehicle with the Department of Public Safety Services and obtain an electronic parking permission assigning a designated area of parking.  The University reserves the right to require proof of ownership of the vehicle being registered.  Parking and Traffic Regulations and Information governing the operation of motor vehicles is issued via internet hyperlink at the time of the electronic parking permission purchase and is available for download or view from Parking and Transportation .  Failure to read the regulations is not an excuse for failure to comply with the university parking rules and regulations.  Vehicles found in violation are subject to applicable fines as well as tow and impound.

Campus Recreation

The Mission of the Department of Recreational Sports is to advance and enrich the collegiate experience.  The friendship, leadership, and wellbeing skills established through involvement in sport and recreation are some of the most valuable parts of the college experience.  Studies have shown that students who take part in campus recreation stay in school and even do better academically.

To see more about the Recreational Sports programs and services, view our orientation video here. You can also find more information by downloading the SHSU Rec Sports App through the Apple App Store or Google Play


Facilities managed by the Department of Recreational Sports include:

·         Campus Recreation 

·         Johnson Coliseum

·         McAdams Tennis Complex

·         Pritchett Field Sports Complex

·         Holleman Field Sports Complex

·         Intramural Sports Fields

·         Sand Volleyball Courts

·         University Camp.

The RSC houses a 34’ climbing wall with bouldering, a 10,000 ft2 weight room with cardio area, several multipurpose and fitness rooms, and an outdoor heated swimming pool. New additions in 2023 include two multipurpose rooms, a functional training area, expanded cardio space, and a competition gym. This expands upon the original four basketball courts, two multi-purpose rooms, a 1/8-mile indoor running track, nine racquetball courts, functional training area, and a supplemental weight room. Next to the RS Care, there are three Intramural Sports Fields and two Sand Volleyball courts.  Recreational Sports uses these facilities for Intramural Sports, Informal Recreation, and Special Events. Just up the road is the McAdams Tennis Complex, an outdoor tennis venue with eight tennis courts. Johnson Coliseum, located directly across from the RSC, seats over 6,000 people and hosts many large-scale events, SHSU Varsity Basketball, and SHSU Volleyball each year. The Pritchett Field Sports Complex and Holleman Field, home to our Club Sports program, includes two athletic fields (one grass and two turf) and an outdoor running track.

The University Camp is a one-of-a-kind recreation and retreat facility located 15 minutes northeast of campus. Booked through group reservation, members of the SHSU community can spend a day canoeing on the water, fishing, hiking, biking, challenging themselves on the low or high-ropes courses, hosting a gathering in the dining hall and lodge, or just enjoying a picnic by the lake. 


As a student, you will enjoy the Informal Recreation program by participating in self-directed activities such as drop-in basketball, weight-lifting, cardio, racquetball, or swimming. The Aquatics & Safety program offers lifeguard and CPR classes, swimming lessons, and open swim.  The seasonally-heated pool has four 25-yard lap lanes and a leisure area for water sports or merely relaxing in the sun. The Fitness Program offers comprehensive wellness programming for the Bearkat community. Programs include group fitness classes, yoga, personal training, nutrition consultations, instructor training, and more. The Intramural and eSports programs offer a variety of team, dual, and individual activities with both competitive and recreational divisions. The Club Sports program comprises recognized student organizations established to promote and develop common sport- and/or recreation-related interests. Volunteer student leaders organize, administer, and compete in our active clubs. Outdoor Recreation is a multifaceted program comprising six primary areas; Trips, Workshops, the Climbing Center and bouldering area, equipment rental (tents, sleeping bags, kayaks, etc.), Bearkat Camp (a four day, three-night experience for incoming freshmen and transfer students), and the 345-acre University Camp and retreat center. Recreational Sports hosts several special events throughout the year. Past activities have included Sammypalooza, a musical festival with multiple acts, RecFest, a fun atmosphere where you can learn all about Recreational Sports, Demo Days, Sweat the Stress, and Earth Day activities. The department also provides many employment opportunities for students who are interested in part-time work. Rec Sports employs over 300 students annually in the areas of intramural officiating, facility supervision, aquatics, marketing, outdoor recreation, and fitness. Please, refer to the BearkatsGetHired website for a current and complete list of student work opportunities. For more information about any of these Recreational Sports activities, please, stop by the administrative offices on the first floor of the Recreational Sports Center, call (936) 294-1985, download the SHSU Rec Sports App, or visit the Recreational Sports website.

Residence Life

The Department of Residence Life operates a variety of residence halls, including an apartment complex for upperclassmen. Upon acceptance to the University, all students who are required to live on-campus their first year will be mailed a housing brochure. This brochure provides many details of the residence life program at Sam Houston State University, including information regarding specific residence halls, applicable rates, and some policies. Students can also visit Residence Life or call (936) 294-1812.

A person may not live in University housing unless enrolled in classes at SHSU for each particular semester.

Application for housing may be made via the website once the student has been accepted to SHSU. A deposit of $200 is required with the application for housing. Assignments are made on a space-available basis according to the date of deposit. The housing contract will be in effect and must be adhered to for the full academic year.

Should a student become unable to fulfill a reservation, a refund may be made under certain conditions. Please refer to the Housing Application/Contract Terms and Conditions for specific details regarding refunds which are determined by the date the cancellation is received. Students may pay for housing in full at registration or in an installment arrangement, in accordance with the policies set forth by the University Bursar.

University residence halls are closed during the academic breaks between semesters. Students who have a future reservation with SHSU may stay in the residence hall during these periods for an additional fee.

Bearkat Village Apartments

The University maintains two-bedroom, fully furnished apartments for upperclassmen. The apartments are located on Montgomery Road across from Bowers Stadium. All residents must be enrolled in the University.

Copper Village Apartments

The University maintains one-bedroom and two-bedroom, fully furnished apartments for upperclassmen. The apartments are located on Sycamore Avenue across from The Don Sanders Baseball Stadium. All residents must be enrolled in the University.

First-year Students Required Housing And Meal Plan Policy

All students who have graduated from high school within the current or previous calendar year are required to reside in University housing and to purchase a meal plan for their first year, which will normally include the fall and spring semesters. For example, a May or June 2023 graduate will be required to reside on-campus Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters. Anyone signing an academic year housing/meal plan contract will be required to fulfill the terms of that contract. Exceptions to the First-Year Required Housing and Meal Plan Policy may be made by the Department of Residence Life if:

  1. residence in University housing will impose a significant hardship, financial or otherwise; or
  2. the student is married and living with his/her spouse; or
  3. the student commutes from the home of his/her parents, grandparents, or a brother or sister within a 60 mile radius from the SHSU campus; or
  4. the student is a veteran of military service.

The student must provide documented evidence to warrant consideration for a waiver of this requirement. A denial of this request may be appealed to the Director for Residence Life Business Operations. Charges for both services will be added to the student’s account until approval for the waiver is obtained. Any student who does not comply with the above policy will be subject to disciplinary action as specified by the Code of Student Conduct as published in Student Guidelines.

Dining Service for Residential Students

All students (regardless of classification) who reside in the residence halls will be required to purchase a University Resident Meal Plan (All Access, 15 Meals per Week, 10 Meals per Week (*Sophomore status and above only). All of these meal plans include “Bearkat Bucks,” which can be used in lieu of cash at any food related establishment on campus. Meal plan contracts are valid for the entire academic year. Rates and additional information are available from the Department of Residence Life. Students who reside in Bearkat Village Apartments will not be required to purchase a Resident meal plan.

Dining Service for Non-Residential Students

Students who do not reside on campus have the option to purchase any meal plan available (All Access, 15 Meals per Week,10 Meals per Week (*Sophomore status and above only), 70 Meals per Semester (Bearkat Value Plan), 30 Meals per Semester (Bearkat Lite), or Bearkat Flex Plan. All of these meal plans include “Bearkat Bucks,” which can be used in lieu of cash at any food related establishment on campus. Meal plan contracts are valid for the entire academic year. Rates and additional information are available from the Department of Residence Life.   

Bearkat Bucks

Bearkat Bucks, welcome at any ARAMARK managed campus dining facility, is a declining balance account in which a minimum of $25 is deposited, and the cash price of food purchases are deducted from the balance. Money deposited in a students’ Bearkat Bucks can be used in lieu of cash at any food related establishment on campus. All purchases are non-refundable and any unused Bearkat Bucks will be lost at the completion of the 2nd summer session.

Summer Housing

The buildings that are open for summer school housing vary from year to year because of renovation and maintenance schedules. Assignments are made according to date of deposit.

Services for Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services for students with documented mental or physical impairments that substantially limit one or more major life activities.  To apply for services, students must register with SSD, participate in a disability intake, and submit current documentation from a qualified professional indicating the presence of a substantially limiting impairment.  Accommodation decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, as supported by the student’s documentation and educational needs.  For additional information on the SSD documentation guidelines, procedures for requesting services, and adaptive technologies available on the SHSU campuses, students are encouraged to visit Services for Students with Disabilities or to contact the SSD Office at telephone (936) 294-3512, TDD (936) 294-3786, or email Disabilities

Student Money Management Center

Student Money Management (SMM) is a financial outreach and educational program administered by the Sam Houston State University Division of Enrollment Success.

The mission of Student Money Management is to help Bearkats achieve financial independence.

The goals of Student Money Management are for students to:

  • Learn how to identify and track expenses during and after college;
  • Create a financial survival plan for college;
  • Graduate with a plan for repaying student loans and personal debt;
  • Locate external financial education resources;
  • Talk to trained professionals about personal financial decisions and issues in a confidential and comfortable environment;
  • Create a personalized budget for the upcoming semester or year at SHSU;
  • Learn how to obtain, interpret and understand a personal credit report; and
  • Understand employee benefit packages and retirement plans prior to accepting a career opportunity.

Student Money Management offers financial literacy outreach to students in the form of presentations and workshops on a number of financial literacy topics, including but not limited to:

  • Budgeting & Saving
  • Setting Financial Goals
  • Credit
  • Student Loan Repayment

Personal Coaching

Student Money Management also offers private, individualized financial coaching and planning sessions from certified professionals and peers. Through this financial literacy resource, SHSU students can learn how to gain and maintain financial independence. Coaching sessions with full-time staff members are available by walk-in and appointments through Campus Connect.

For more information, visit Student Money Management or call 936-294-2600.

Students’ Legal & Mediation Services


We serve currently-enrolled SHSU students by providing them with high-quality legal advice and equipping them with techniques to resolve disputes so they can focus on their educational goals.

Legal Services

Our attorneys advise and counsel students on legal issues that they face. Meetings between a student and an attorney are confidential, as allowed by law. While our attorneys do not represent students in court, they help the students better understand their legal issues, rights and responsibilities, guide students through the legal procedures that they may face, and assist students to productively and proactively deal with their legal situation.

Types of Legal Issues

Student Legal & Mediation Services can assist students with many types of legal issues, including, but not limited to:

  • Rental Agreements and Issues with Landlords
  • Contract Drafting and Review
  • Background Reports
  • Identity Theft
  • Business Formation
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Wills and Powers of Attorney
  • Divorces
  • Name Changes
  • Real Estate
  • Demand Letters
  • Consumer Protection
  • Expunctions and Orders of Nondisclosure
  • Copyright and Intellectual Property
  • Debt Collection Practices
  • Employment-related Issues
  • Notary Services

Mediation & Conflict Resolution Training

Student Legal & Mediation Services also provides mediation services and conflict resolution training. When people are in a dispute, a neutral person—the mediator—can help the parties understand the cause of the dispute and help them develop creative solutions to resolve the dispute. Student Legal & Mediation Services has a trained mediator who helps students resolve their conflicts constructively, timely, and confidentially. We've helped students in roommate disputes, family conflicts, and disputes between groups.


Because Student Legal & Mediation Services is supported by student fees, there is no cost for a consultation with the attorney or the mediator for currently-enrolled SHSU students who have paid the Student Service Fee.

Location & Making Appointments

Student Legal & Mediation Services is located in the Lowman Student Center, Suite 327. Consultations are by appointment, either in-person, phone, or by video. Students may make an appointment by calling (936) 294-1717, online at Student Legal & Mediation Services, or through Campus Connect.

Speaker for Student Groups

Student Legal & Mediation Services is also available to speak to SHSU student groups and organizations on legal and conflict resolution topics. Please call (936) 294-1717 to learn more about having us speak to your group. 

Conflicts of Interest

Because of conflicts of interest, Student Legal & Mediation Services is unable to offer legal advice in disputes between Sam Houston State University students or disputes between a student and the university, but our office can refer you to a private attorney.

Student Services, Division of

The role of the Division of Student Affairs is to complement the total educational mission of the University by providing opportunities for students to develop and grow in an academic environment. This is accomplished by offering quality programs and emphasizing the holistic approach in co-curriculum involvement. Studies indicate that learning occurs in an environment conducive to social, recreational, educational, and intellectual interaction. A variety of student service programs are designed to foster such interaction with students, faculty, staff, and the University community. The goal of the division is to contribute to the learning experiences of SHSU students, helping them to become educated, enlightened, and empowered in ways that they can achieve and contribute as productive citizens in their college, community, and country.

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs provides administrative leadership, supervision, and coordination for the Division of Student Affairs. The division includes the following departments: Counseling Center, Dean of Students’ Office, Student Involvement: Leadership and Service, Lowman Student Center, Campus Recreation, Residence Life, Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD), Campus Activities and Traditions, Student Wellness, and Student Legal and Mediation Services. For more information, visit the website at

Veterans Resource Center

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is available to assist students with Veterans Affairs (VA) educational and the Hazlewood Act Waiver.  Our office is located in Academic Building III, Suite 110.

Types of VA Educational Benefits:

  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery
  • Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness & Employment
  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11
  • Chapter 35 - Dependents' Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 – Selected Reserve
  • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship 
  • Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does not include living expenses, books, meal plan, intercollegiate athletic fee, and the student service fee.

If you would like to apply for one of the VA benefits or Hazlewood Act please contact us at
(936) 294-1046, or by email at Veterans

VetSuccess Counselor

SHSU houses one VA VetSuccess Counselor on its campus. If you are a veteran, active duty military or an eligible family member who attends or plans to attend SHSU, please call or come by to meet with our VetSuccess on Campus Counselor.

SHSU VetSuccess on Campus counselor can help you:

  • Manage your education benefits
  • Explore vocations and select a suitable major/career
  • Elect your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare Administration
  • Access, understand and apply for VA benefits (e.g., Disability Compensation, Life Insurance, Education, Home Loan Guaranty, and Veteran Readiness & Employment)
  • Get referrals for medical and mental health care
  • Get referrals for readjustment counseling services for eligible veterans and their families
  • Coordinate with school faculty/staff to provide veteran-specific services (e.g., VA Certifying Official, Career Center, Student Disabilities Services, Counseling Center)
  • Find job placement assistance and coordinate with Local Veterans’ Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans’ Outreach Programs (DVOP)
  • Locate community and other resources

Your VetSuccess on Campus Counselor

Roberta Ardoin, MHS, CRC
AB III Suite 110

Visitor Services

Located in the Visitor Center, the Sam Houston State University Visitor Services Department is the front door of the University. Visitors are encouraged to stop into Visitor Services upon arrival to campus to get information to maximize their campus visit, including directions, parking registration, and contact information. Please contact Visitor Services to:

  • Schedule a tour of the campus
  • Obtain departmental brochures to assist in educational planning
  • Register for a Saturday@Sam Campus Preview Day

Visitor Services is located at the Bowers Boulevard entrance to campus. Visitors can speak with a SAMbassador, enjoy showcased SHSU memorabilia, and view the university’s “story” on video in the state-of-the-art theater.

Saturday@Sam is our bi-annual campus preview day, held in the fall and spring of each year for prospective students and guests. For more information, please visit Visitor Services or contact us at (936) 294-1844.