Transfer Articulation: Chemistry

No Overview

It is extremely important for the student to complete two years of chemistry (general and organic), a year of calculus, and a year of physics prior to transfer to Sam Houston State University if the student intends to take junior-level chemistry courses upon arrival. If the student is planning on a minor in Biology, the student should also take BIOL 1411 and BIOL 1413.

Note: Chemistry majors are not required to complete the 1 hour core requirement where non-majors must select from the choice of 1 hour from ECON, KINE or NGLI.

  • A maximum of 66 transfer credit hours (“C” or better excluding kinesiology) may be applied to a degree at SHSU. Students should carefully select courses to complete the associate degree while minimizing the number of hours that might exceed the 66-hour cap for transfer credit
  • For more information visit the Department of Chemistry.  

The Core Curriculum at Sam Houston State University (to be used by all incoming students as of fall 2014) contains 42 semester credit hours, encompassing nine component areas. Each component area has a minimum credit hour requirement and a selection of specific courses that may be used to satisfy the requirement. The Core Curriculum details Sam Houston State University courses and their Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) equivalents for college transfer students which comprise SHSU’s core curriculum.

Many SHSU disciplines including the sciences, business, and education require specific courses from the SHSU core as degree specific graduation requirements. To minimize cost and time to complete degree requirements always select SHSU/transfer core courses specified as degree requirements in your intended major.  If you have not decided on a major, select core courses supporting your intended area of academic concentration.

Prior to enrolling in core classes, students are encouraged to review specific degree requirements for their major. Selection of major-specified core courses reduces the total number of hours required for graduation.

If you do not see a Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) mapping a specific core course to your transfer institution, please go to Transfer Course Equivalency Guide and select your institution from the drop-down menu. The result will list all currently mapped transfer courses from your institution to SHSU courses.