Graduate Certificate in American History
The 18-hour certificate program in American history will prepare graduate students to read, analyze, and write about the past in a way that is meaningful today. In keeping with this philosophy, the program will offer a unique experience, which allows students to participate in graduate education through online classes. Students in the program will find a broad-based education incorporating in-depth studies of American history, immersion in the latest historiographical theories, and training in advanced research methods.
The 18-hour graduate certificate program in history will allow secondary school teachers who already hold a master’s degree in another field to earn the credentials needed to teach courses for joint high school and junior college credit.
Through this program teachers will be able to:
- Participate in a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)-accredited program;
- Work with leading scholars from SHSU’s faculty members in history;
- Complete the 18-hour program completely online from their homes or offices;
- Finish the 18-hour program in a single year;
- Apply coursework from this 18-hour program to a full MA degree in history at SHSU.
Teachers interested in pursuing the 18-hour graduate certificate program in history must:
- Complete the Apply Texas general application form.
- Pay the requisite application fee of $45 through Apply Texas.
- Currently hold an undergraduate and master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions of higher education.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- Submit an academic writing sample.
Inquiries may be directed to:
J. Ross Dancy, DPhil (Oxon)
Director of Graduate Studies in History
Assistant Professor of History
Telephone: (936) 294-3908
Department of History
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2239
The six courses in the table below, for a total of 18 semester credit hours, are required for the Graduate Certificate in American History.
|Graduate Certificate in American History|
|HIST 5370||Colonial America||3|
|HIST 5371||Revolutionary America||3|
|HIST 5372||Early National America||3|
|HIST 5373||The Am Civil War & Reconstruct||3|
|HIST 5375||Recent America, 1876-1933||3|
|HIST 5376||Contemporary Amer,1933-Present||3|