Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies
The Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies is an 18-hour online certificate program that is part of the department’s master’s program. The certificate consists of three required courses and three elective courses. Full-time students will be able to complete the program in a year. Using summer classes, part-time students will be able to complete the certificate in a year and a half.
Applications to the online Communication Studies Certificate Program are reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority application deadlines of: March 1st for the fall semester; October 1st for the spring semester. We will accept and continue to review applications until all program slots are filled. Students seeking admission to the graduate program in Communication Studies must submit the following documents to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Application: The Graduate Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- Transcripts documenting the conferral of an undergraduate degree and conferral of a graduate degree from accredited institutions.*
- A letter of interest that summarizes the applicant’s educational and professional goals, how a Communication Studies certificate will help the applicant obtain his/her professional goals, and how the applicant’s personal and professional experiences have prepared him/her for our graduate program.
- Two letters of recommendation that discuss the applicant’s suitability for graduate study.
*Applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for review by the admissions committee. However, under university policy, admission decisions are contingent upon receipt of official transcripts.
Applicants must submit all application materials directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions by the relevant deadline. A holistic review of each applicant’s file will then be completed, with admission to the Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies Program awarded on a competitive basis.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
|Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies|
|COMS 5331||Comm Studies Methods & Resrch||3|
|COMS 5335||Advanced Communication Theory||3|
|COMS 5360||Adv Interpersonal Communicatn||3|
|Select 3 of the following:||9|
|Statistical Methods For Comm|
|Computer Mediated Comm|
|Dark Side of Communication|
|Advanced Intercultural Comm|
|Sex & Gender In Communication|
|Grad Readings in Communication|
|Advanced Family Communication|
|Intergenerational Family Comm|
|Dark Side of Family Comm|
|Seminar In Interpersonal Comm|
|Seminar In Family Communicatn|
|Social Support and Well-Being|
|Persuasion & Social Influence|