College of Humanities and Social Sciences
|Dean||Abbey Zink, Ph.D.
email@example.com; (936) 294-2200
|Interim Associate Dean||Rick Bello, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-2202
|Associate Dean||Carroll Nardone, Ph.D.
email@example.com; (936) 294-2203
|Associate Dean||Glenn M. Sanford, Ph.D.
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-2455
|Department of Communication Studies||Terry Thibodeaux, Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294-1356
|Department of English||Jacob Blevins, Ph.D., Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-1402
|Department of History||Pinar Emiralioglu, Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294-1474
|Department of Political Science||Tamara Waggener, Ph.D., Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-1466
|Department of Psychology and Philosophy||James Crosby, Ph.D., Interim Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294- 3052
|Department of Sociology||Furjen Deng, Ph.D., Chair;
firstname.lastname@example.org; (936) 294-1515
|Department of World Languages and Cultures||Leif French Ph.D., Chair
email@example.com; (936) 294-1442
About the College
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences consists of seven academic units, the Departments of :
- Communication Studies
- Political Science
- Psychology and Philosophy
- World Languages and Cultures
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences provides an essential component to a liberal arts education: understanding human beings in their diversity as expressed in their literatures, histories, ideas, values, oral and written expressions, and behavior. By promoting analytic, interpretive, interpersonal, research and communication skills, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences facilitates personal growth, competent professionals, and responsible citizens.
Fax: (936) 294-2207
CHSS Building 290
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) are committed to teaching excellence, curriculum innovation, research/scholarship, and community and university service.
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences have been recognized for their teaching excellence with national and local awards. CHSS is home to five Minnie Stevens Piper Professors. Only 10 Piper Professors are identified each year across Texas.
- Courses in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences are rated well above the national norms in teacher effectiveness and course excellence.
- Faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences have been recognized for their research and scholarship with national awards. Among these awards is a finalist for the 2016 Pulitzer Prize in History, a National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Literature, and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellow in Creative Writing.
- A student in the Clinical Psychology PhD program received the David Pilon Scholarship for Training in Professional Psychology from the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students. This national award is made to one graduate student in psychology each year.
- A national survey ranked the Psychology Program at Sam Houston State in the top ten of emerging Clinical Psychology Doctoral Programs.
- The Association of Psychological Science recently named one of the SHSU psychology assistant professors as a Rising Star in Psychology.
|Communication Studies, MA||Communication Studies|
|Creative Writing, Editing, and Publishing, MFA||English|
|Political Science, MA||Political Science|
|Psychology, MA||Psychology and Philosophy|
|Psychology - Clinical Psychology, MA||Psychology and Philosophy|
|Psychology - School Psychology, SSP||Psychology and Philosophy|
|Public Administration, MPA||Political Science|
|Spanish, MA||World Languages and Cultures|
|Clinical Psychology, PhD||Psychology and Philosophy|
|General Psychology||Psychology and Philosophy|
|Political Science||Political Science|
CHSS Graduate Scholarship
This scholarship is a one-year award of $1000 divided between Fall and Spring semesters and is disbursed on the basis of financial need and academic performance. An application is available on the CHSS website.
The departments within the college have numerous scholarships which can be accessed through the Scholarships4kats application process.
Several of the department graduate programs have academic clubs that support students' integration into graduate studies and provide networking for students and faculty.
Departments provide internship/practicum experience in the application of academic work to world of practice.