Master of Arts in Band Conducting
The 30-hour Master of Arts in Band Conducting degree program offers students hands-on learning through an intensive 3-week summer residency in Ashland, Oregon, as well as on-line course delivery through Sam Houston State University. In collaboration with the American Band College (ABC) of Ashland, Oregon, the summer-only program combines an intense study of conducting, pedagogy, score study and analysis, and band literature. Students work with conductors, composers, performer/teachers, and clinicians from around the world to improve their skills as professional band directors.
Students seeking admission to the Master of Arts in Band Conducting program must submit the following documents to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Application
- Application fee
- Students must submit three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all previous college level academic work are required and should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies. An undergraduate/Baccalaureate degree from a NASM accredited institution or equivalent international degree in music is required.
- International students must submit an official TOEFL score of at least 213 on the computer based exam or at least 550 on the paper-based exam.
- Successful completion of a comprehensive examination is required for graduation. This exam, which is administered by ABC/SHSU faculty/staff, is given during the final semester. Students must be enrolled the semester in which they take comprehensive examinations.
- All graduate music students must complete the following hours to meet the required minimum of 30 hours beyond the undergraduate degree:
|Master of Arts in Band Conducting|
|COND 5001||Applied Conducting||8|
|MUEN 5112||Graduate Ensemble||3|
|MUSI 6181||Recital I||1|
|MUSI 6285||Applied Analysis and Pedagogy||6|
|MUSI 6388||Band Research & Pedagogy||3|
|MUSI 5388||Seminar In Literature||3|
|MUSI 5398||Adv Study in Appl Discipline||3|
|MUSI 6031||Major Project||3|
Plan of Study
|Total Hours: 30|