Master of Library Science
The Master of Library Science is designed to prepare competent professionals for school librarianship; encourage and support scholarly research and publications; promote and participate in faculty growth and development; offer educational services to schools, libraries, and the community; and plan, implement, and evaluate the academic curriculum, teaching effectiveness, physical resources, program policies, and the learning environment.
Graduates of the M.L.S. program will also have the required coursework necessary to sit for the School Librarian Certification exam. Students interested in the certification must have a valid classroom teaching certificate and two years of classroom experience before taking the exam.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in library science must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application fee
- Apply to the School Librarian Preparation Program if seeking Texas School Librarian certification (Instructions)
- Pay the $55 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas School Librarian certification
- Official transcript(s) from the baccalaureate degree granting institution and from other colleges and universities attended, both undergraduate and graduate with a 3.0 G.P.A. or higher
- A copy of a valid teaching certificate
- Teacher Service Record from your school district's Human Resource Department with 2 years of certified teaching experience preferred
For instructions regarding the program application, please contact the Department of Library Science at (936) 294-1151 or visit the Office of Graduate Studies program page.
NOTE: Applicants selected after the initial screening will be invited for an online interview.
This 36-hour master's degree provides instruction for the principles and procedures common to school libraries and information centers. The primary mission of the Department of Library Science is the preparation of school librarians for grades P-12.
|Master of Library Science|
|LSSL 5330||Collection Development||3|
|LSSL 5332||Organization Of Collections I||3|
|LSSL 5334||Infor Services & Resources I||3|
|LSSL 5337||School Library Administration||3|
|LSSL 5360||Literature For Children||3|
|LSSL 5366||Library Internship||3|
|LSSL 5367||Research Design & Methodology||3|
|LSSL 5370||School Librarianship||3|
|LSSL 5385||Lit For Young Adults||3|
|LSSL 5391||Dig Tech for the Schl Librar||3|
|LSSL 5396||Computer Sci App Librarianship||3|
|Select one elective graduate course in LSSL||3|