Master of Education in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The Master of Education in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is designed for diverse professionals in the area of English as a Second/Foreign Language. The program addresses the theories and research base of second language acquisition and instruction with an emphasis on literacy. In addition to receiving the MEd, our graduates earn a certificate in second language instruction from Sam Houston State University. Contact the director of the program for further information on this certificate.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Articulate theories, processes, and principles of second language acquisition and second language literacy..
- Examine the linguistic, sociocultural, cognitive, and psychological foundations of language and literacy.
- Identify instructional strategies and materials that promote the acquisition of language and literacy for English language learners (ELLs).
- Evaluate informal and formal assessments for ELLs.
- Engage in reflective analysis of personal beliefs and systematic inquiry into diverse cultures in order to construct a pedagogy in which diversity is an explicit part of the curriculum.
- Integrate technology to enhance the learning opportunities of ELLs.
- Conduct research in second language learning and teaching.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in TESOL must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
|Master of Education in TESOL|
|BESL 5302||Soc Cult Lang Infl On Learning||3|
|BESL 5304||2nd Lang Acquisition & Develop||3|
|BESL 5311||Applied Linguistics in ESL/EFL Settings||3|
|BESL 5313||ESL / EFL Methodology||3|
|Select six of the following:||18|
|Action Research in Second Lang|
|Computer Assisted Language Learning in English as a Second Language/English as a Foreign Language|
|Second Language Assessment|
|English for Specific Purposes|
|Integrating Curnt Tech In Tchg|
|Curriculum Dev-Early Child Edu|
|Lang & Lit Dev In Young Child|
|Curr Pract-Early Child Setting|
|Buildg Rel With Div Fam& Child|
|Theor. Perspctv-Early Child Ed|
|Development Of The Young Child|
|Gaming and Literacy|
|Survey Of Reading|
|Literacy & Learning Grade 8-12|
|Second Language Literacy|
|Digital Literacy and Pedagogy|
|Digital Literacies & Policy|
|Language Arts: Theory & Instr|
|Imprvmt In Sec Sch/Adult Pop|
|Lit & Instr Mat In Rdg Progs|
|Cognition & Emergent Literacy|