Master of Education in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The Master of Education in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program prepares exemplary educational leaders in the field of second language teaching and learning. We are dedicated to providing candidates with in-depth knowledge of theories of second language acquisition and methodologies, which promote second language literacy and learning at all educational levels. Program faculty shares the philosophy expressed by many educators and that is teaching and learning is a lifelong process. Our program models this philosophy by supporting the development of lasting professional relationships among classmates, graduates, and faculty. The theoretical and practical training offered in our master’s program allows students and graduates to work and teach in variety of language settings. We guide our students to construct their own educational philosophies within a framework which recognizes and values the many ways learners participate in and contribute to the learning communities in the classrooms.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Articulate theories, processes, and principles of second language acquisition and second language literacy.
- Examine the linguistic, sociocultural, cognitive, and psychological foundations of language and literacy.
- Identify instructional strategies and materials that promote the acquisition of language and literacy for English language learners (ELLs).
- Evaluate informal and formal assessments for ELLs.
- Engage in reflective analysis of personal beliefs and systematic inquiry into diverse cultures in order to construct a pedagogy in which diversity is an explicit part of the curriculum.
- Integrate technology to enhance the learning opportunities of ELLs.
- Conduct research in second language learning and teaching.
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program in TESOL must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
|Master of Education in TESOL|
|BESL 5302||Soc Cult Lang Infl On Learning||3|
|BESL 5304||2nd Lang Acquisition & Develop||3|
|BESL 5311||Applied Linguistics in ESL/EFL Settings||3|
|BESL 5313||ESL / EFL Methodology||3|
|Select two or more from the following:||18|
|Computer Assisted Language Learning in English as a Second Language/English as a Foreign Language|
|Second Language Assessment|
|English for Specific Purposes|
|Action Research in Second Lang|
|Teaching Second Lang Writing|
|Second Language Literacy|
|Select the rest from the following:|
|Integrating Curnt Tech In Tchg|
|Curriculum Dev-Early Child Edu|
|Lang & Lit Dev In Young Child|
|Curr Pract-Early Child Setting|
|Buildg Rel With Div Fam& Child|
|Theor. Perspctv-Early Child Ed|
|Development Of The Young Child|
|Gaming and Literacy|
|Survey Of Reading|
|Literacy & Learning Grade 8-12|
|Digital Literacy and Pedagogy|
|Digital Literacies & Policy|
|Language Arts: Theory & Instr|
|Imprvmt In Sec Sch/Adult Pop|
|Lit & Instr Mat In Rdg Progs|
|Cognition & Emergent Literacy|