This certification plan is designed specifically for the educator who has previously obtained a Master’s Degree in Education and wishes to obtain Principal Certification. It requires the completion of twenty-four hours of graduate credit. The program complies with existing standards for professional certification. The study plan originates in the Department of Educational Leadership.
Financial Aid Note: Principal Certification-only programs are not eligible for financial aid. Programs leading to a degree are (e.g., EDAD master’s degree).
Applicants seeking admission to the Principal Certification program must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Pay the $35 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TEA 229.9.7)
- Official Transcript from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher OR an official transcript from the master's degree granting institution with a GPA of a 3.5 or higher. If an applicant does not meet the minimum GPA expectations, official GRE scores must be submitted that meet the requirements. Minimum scores required are listed in the table below.
- Copy of Teacher Service Record from your school district's Human Resource Department with 2 years of creditable teaching experience preferred; however, we will consider applicants with 1 year of creditable teaching experience. (Applicant must be working at a Texas Education Agency accredited school.)
- Copy of valid Teacher Certificate
- Two recommendations, one from the school principal and one from an assistant principal
- Professional Statement/Document of Intent
- Current Resume
- Interview video.
GRE revised General Test Score Bands to be used for Admission to an Educator Preparation Program under the 10% Exception Rule in 19 TAC §227.10(a)(3)(D)
|Self-reported Undergraduate GPA||GRE Verbal Reasoning1||GRE Quantitative Reasoning1||GRE Analytical Writing2|
GRE Verbal and Quantitative scores are reported on a 130 to 170 scale.
GRE Analytical Writing scores are reported on a 0 to 6 scale in half-point increments.
Under these circumstances, the GRE may not be waived.
Preferred Application Deadlines:
Fall - June 15
Spring - Oct. 15
Summer - March 15
Final Application Deadlines:
Fall - July 15
Spring - Nov. 15
Summer - April 15
Candidates have six years from the semester of the first course to complete program requirements and state certification (e.g., pass exams).
Financial Aid Note: Principal Certification-only programs are not eligible for financial aid. Programs leading to a degree are (EDAD master’s degree).
|EDAD 5332||Adm & Org of Public Schools||3|
|EDAD 5372||Fed-State-Local Sch Law||3|
|EDAD 5386||Spc Populations & Spc Programs||3|
|EDAD 6362||Principal Practicum/Internship 1||6|
|EDAD 6370||Campus Business Management||3|
|EDAD 6371||Role of Prin in School Admin||3|
|EDAD 6394||Advancing Educ Leadership||3|