Master of Arts in Teaching
The Master of Arts in Teaching is a 30 hour program that includes 24 hours of core course work and 6 hours of field experience. Six additional graduate hours are required in place of internship, for those who choose student teaching for their field experience. A graduate research project must be completed during the research courses, CIED 5370 and CIED 5085.
Applicants interested in pursuing Masters of Arts in Teaching should contact the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at (936) 294-1129 or email@example.com for more information.
The Master of Arts in Teaching program at Sam Houston State University is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the State Board of Education Certification through the Texas Accountability System for Educator Preparation Program.
Applicants seeking admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching program must submit the following directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- The PACT Exam
- Graduate Application
- Application Fee
- Apply to the Teacher Preparation Program if seeking Texas Teacher certification (Instructions)
- Pay the $55 Texas Education Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs Fee (paid to the TEA as required by TAC 229.9.7) if seeking Texas Teacher certification
- Pay the $100 Educator Preparation Program Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited academic institution.
- Candidates with a 3.0 GPA from the baccalaureate-granting institution or graduate1 will have the GRE automatically waived. Candidates with an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 from the baccalaureate-granting institution or between 2.8 and 2.99 in graduate level hours1 from the baccalaureate degree-granting institution are required to take the GRE. These candidates must meet the minimum standard with the following formula:
(GPA X 50) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative + GRE Written equal to or greater than 435
GRE TAKEN BEFORE AUGUST 2011
(GPA X 200) + GRE Verbal + GRE Quantitative + GRE Written equal to or greater than 1664
If a student has taken graduate level coursework after receiving their Bachelor’s, but has not received a Master’s degree, then those hours become void and are not taken into consideration.
This 30 hour program includes 18 hours credits of course work, 6 credits of field experience and 6 hours of field experience. Six additional graduate hours are required for those who choose student teaching for their field experience. A graduate research project must be completed during the research courses, CIED 5370 and CIED 5085.
|Master of Arts in Teaching|
|CIED 5085||Current Issues in Education||3|
|CIED 5333||Professional Educator's Role||3|
|CIED 5360||Adv Techniques & Mthds Instr||3|
|CIED 5370||Research In Teaching||3|
|CIED 5390||Adv Mths Classroom Mgt & Disc||3|
|CIED 5393||Assessment Of Learning||3|
|CIED 5397||Hum Grwth & Dev Across Lifespn||3|
|CIED 5398||Internship In Classroom Instrc||3|
|CIED 5399||Internship In Classroom Instrc||3|
|READ 5311||Literacy & Learning Grade 8-12||3|
|Substitute for Student Teaching|
|If student teaching, must take the following courses plus 6 addtional credits of field experience are required|
|Integrating Curnt Tech In Tchg|
|Curricular Trends For Clss Tch|
Note: The first courses taken in the program must be CIED 5397, CIED 5360, and CIED 5390