Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality and Safety
The online Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality and Safety is targeted toward busy health care professionals engaged or planning to be engaged in leadership roles in the quality and safety areas in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and other health care organizations. Professionals in health care quality and safety manage the strategic and operational aspects of quality operations; establish goals and standards; lead the quality improvement programs; provide training and coaching in quality improvement tools and techniques; develop, implement, and monitor measures to assess quality performance; direct organization-wide quality initiatives, including the National Patient Safety Initiatives; and direct ongoing monitoring of accreditation survey readiness activities.
This certificate program is designed for health care professionals and administrators, who are at a point in their careers where they require advanced skills and knowledge to develop, manage, and sustain a culture of excellence in organizations and health systems.
Applicants must have earned an undergraduate or graduate degree and be currently working or have worked in a health care related field for more than 3 years.
Specific requirements for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality and Safety program are as follows:
- Graduate Application
- Application Fee
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited U.S. institution or with Admission Committee approval
- Official transcript(s) from all post-secondary schools attended
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Writing samples:
- Please, include a 250- to 500-word essay describing your reasons for undertaking study at Sam Houston State University, and your academic objectives, career goals, and related qualifications, including collegiate, professional, and community activities, relevant to your program of interest. Include any substantial accomplishments.
- Please, provide a 500-word description of one key issue in Health care Quality or Patient Safety and discuss possible solutions.
- Two letters of recommendation from:
- Individuals who served in a supervisory capacity, and who can strongly attest to the applicant’s work ethic, and/or
- Academic instructors who can strongly attest to the applicant’s academic ability.
- A CV or resume
- Minimum of three years of health care related work experience in clinical or non-clinical settings
- On-campus, video, or phone interview with the M.S. in Health Care Quality and Safety coordinator or admission committee member for selected competitive applicants meeting all admissions criteria
The coordinator and the admissions committee of the certificate program and the M.S. in Health Care Quality and Safety program will review all applications and will determine satisfactory completion of certificate requirements.
Note: Transfer of credit from other institutions may not be applied toward the credits required for the certificate.
The Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality and Safety requires five (5) graduate courses or 15 semester credit hours. These courses will be offered online. The certificate program may be obtained in as little as 12 months, depending on the chosen elective course.
|Graduate Certificate in Health Care Quality and Safety|
|HLTH 5355||Health Services Administration||3|
|HLTH 5371||Health Care Quality & Safety||3|
|HLTH 5373||Risk Mgmt in Health Care Orgs||3|
|HLTH 5384||Quality and Safety Public Reporting Systems||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Statistical Design in Health|
|Health Care Informatics|
|Health Economics and Finance|
|Advanced Concepts in Health Care Quality|
|Leading Change in Health Care Organizations|